Opportunity to Help Guide FDA Work on Tobacco
The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) is asking for public comments on specific issues related to the implementation of the Tobacco Control Act. The Tobacco Control Network (TCN) encourages you and your colleagues to help provide state and local tobacco programs’ perspective, by taking some simple steps to submit your own comments to FDA.
The FDA will hear from interest groups with many different viewpoints. As public health leaders with authentic experience creating systems approaches to preventing youth from starting, helping adults who want to quit, and reducing exposure to secondhand smoke, you can provide a valuable perspective and express important concerns from communities across the nation.
- SEND COMMENTS to the FDA. The FDA requests comments through dockets, or collections of documents that store information related to a rulemaking or other action. Click to view instructions for submitting comments and a listing of public dockets open for comment. Submit your comments to: www.regulations.gov.
- REVIEW FACT SHEETS on the Family Smoking Prevention and Tobacco Control Act, giving the FDA comprehensive authority to regulate the manufacturing, marketing, and sale of tobacco products.
Recommended Summaries of the bill from the Tobacco Control Legal Consortium: (all documents are in pdf format and approximately 100 Kb.)
Implications for State and Local Authority (all documents are in pdf format and approximately 100 Kb.)
Timeline for Implementation: Campaign for Tobacco-Free Kids Effective Dates for FDA Tobacco Law
Family Tobacco Prevention and Control Act: Full text document
- STAY INFORMED by submitting a request to the FDA to receive updates, click here to register to receive these email updates.
- EXCHANGE INFORMATION THROUGH THE TCN by sharing examples of state tobacco program involvement. You can email firstname.lastname@example.org to share:
- State Fact Sheets
- State Comments to FDA
- State Action Alerts
- Help Your Peers Questions and/or Requests
The TCN will provide support to state and local tobacco programs to can optimize this historic opportunity to strengthen our national, state and local tobacco policies. We look forward to promoting the networking that you do so well.
Back to Table of Contents